Student visa to China. Process of obtaining a student visa to China is one of the most important stages of admission to an educational institution in China. In this article, we will talk about the student visa application process, the types of student visas and documents you need to apply for a visa.

Student visa to China

Impressive economic achievements of China in recent years allowed it to attain 3rd largest international student population in the world. Studying in China provides not only quality education, but also the chance of learning a new language and culture.

If you are planning to study in China, then contact us for help. If you have any questions, please, feel free to contact our consultants directly on our website. Or leave your questions in the comments below.

Student visa in China. Types of visa X1, X2

All international students before coming to China should get student visa or visa type X. There are 2 types of visa X, which you can apply depending on duration of your education program.

You can register to choose time for visiting consulate of China by following that link.

Student visa to China

Visa X1

Visa X1 for international students whose duration of the educational program is more than 6 months. Usually, visa X1 is used to study on bachelor’s, master’s or Ph.D. since such programs take many years. Visa X1 is valid for 5 years. In addition, it allows students to travel throughout China.

Visa Х2

Visa X2 is a short-term study visa for international students whose duration of the educational program is less than 6 months. That type of visa for students who intend to learn the Chinese language or have other short-term courses. Visa X2 is valid for 6 months. Visa can be extended under certain circumstances. To extend the visa the holder must apply one month before the 180-day mark.

Student visa to China

Documents required for a visa

  1. Passport. Applicant’s original passport, which is valid for at least 6 months.
  2. Application form. Completed application for a student visa to China.
  3. Photo. Attach one colour photo similar to your passport photo.
  4. Original and copy of admission letter from the Chinese university or school.
  5. JW201 or JW202 forms – only for visa X1. Original and copy of approved JW201 or JW202 International Student Visa Application Form.

JW201 orJW202 forms

JW201 form is required for students who will receive scholarships from the Chinese Governmnet. Meanwhile, JW202 is required for self-supported students.

Student visa to China

X1 student visa application stages

  1. You need to choose a Chinese university. Check if there are programs for international students and choose the one you that interests you. After that apply for the chosen educational institution. You can do this using our services.
  2. Make sure you have an original and copy of the admission letter from your university or school. Also, you need to check if the university sent you JW201 or JW202 forms.
  3. If you received a scholarship to study in China, you need to fill in the JW201 form. Otherwise, fill the JW202 form.
  4. Make sure you have all required documents and their high-quality photocopies.
  5. Submit your application together with the required documents. Remember that it is best to apply at least 3 months before you intend to travel to China.
  6. Wait for the results. Usually, visa processing takes only 1 week.
  7. Upon arrival in China, you must visit the local customs office of the Public Security Bureau (PSB) to apply for a residence permit. This must be done within 30 days of arrival in China.

If you have any questions, please, feel free to contact our consultants or leave questions in the comments below.